I have a number of virtualized DCs on several different HyperV servers, and they were all showing the wrong time. In order to fix this issue, I had to Powershell into each HyperV server and run the following commands:
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:”0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org” /syncfromflags:MANUAL
I also ran those commands on my DCs just to be sure, although I believe they are setup to use their host’s time. These commands set the server to use the NTP servers in the list (0 and 1 at pool.ntp.org was what I used, you can use whichever servers you prefer), then they restart the time service, and then force it to resync the time. When using this, all the servers should use the same set of NTP servers to maintain consistency.
Client PCs that also had the wrong time can be forced to update by restarting the “Windows Time” service.
A new game is coming from Games Workshop. It’s replacing their entire Fantasy system, and it looks like a lot of fun! It’s quick to learn and the rules are free!
This week’s White Dwarf came with a free mini and a set of rules, so I grabbed a couple to get started with. After looking through the issue, Kayless wanted to play the Stormcast Eternals, one of the new factions, so I let her pick a colour scheme. I think the choices came out pretty well.
The new boxset comes out next weekend, so hopefully I’ll remember to make some posts showing my progress through building, painting, and playing the game!
If the Directory Sync connection between an Office 365 and AD account breaks for some reason (AD user is deleted, server corruption etc) it can be tricky to get them reconnected. These steps may help:
1) Use Office 365 Control panel to restore deleted user. It will now be marked as “In Cloud” instead of “Synced with Active Directory”.
2) Use the local AD tools to re-create user if it is missing. Local Exchange tools should be used to create a new mail user with an SMTP address that matches the SMTP address of the Office 365 User.
3) Fire up Powershell and connect to the Office 365 Azure Cloud using the following commands:
$O365Cred = Get-Credential
$O365Session = New-PSSession –ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell -Credential $O365Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $O365Session -AllowClobber
Connect-MsolService –Credential $O365Cred
4) Use the following command to delete the ImmutableID from the Office 365 Account where ‘User Principal Name’ is either the name or the email address of the user being reset:
Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName 'User Principal Name' -ImmutableId '$null'
5) Wait for, or force, the AD Sync and it should reconnect the accounts.
I’ve recently had to get a couple of Windows 8.1 Pro tablets working with my works Office 365 setup. At first it was forcing me to use a Microsoft Account which I don’t want to use. After some web searching I was able to locate this article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/10/18/supporting-windows-mail-8-1-in-your-organization.aspx
In it there is instructions for using the Group Policy Editor to make MS accounts optional (yay!). here’s what needs to be done:
To apply the Group Policy setting:
- Launch GPEdit by opening the “run” prompt (Windows key + r), and entering GPEdit.msc
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App runtime
- Select Allow Microsoft accounts to be optional to configure the policy
If the Group Policy is applied and a Microsoft account is not used, the Communications apps will:
- Prompt the user for a work account (i.e. an Exchange ActiveSync account) password
- If account credentials are provided, use Exchange ActiveSync to synchronize email, Contacts and Calendar from the work account
- A user can add additional accounts if desired. You can use corporate firewalls or other mechanisms to block access to any consumer email services as needed.
The following functionality will be unavailable to a user without a Microsoft Account:
Windows Store Application Installs
Account Settings roaming to additional devices
Connectivity to additional 3rd party services (e.g. Social sites)
Email communication from Microsoft regarding any updates to Microsoft Services Agreement.
There are a few caveats, but my first trials show it as being successful. As I explore more into Windows 8.1 I’ll trying to update this article.
Since I got back into Warhammer 40K I’ve been working on a Dark Angels army. At first I was only going to build a Deathwing and a small Greenwing, but after picking up two copies of Dark Vengeance I’ve realised that I’m pretty close to completing my Third Company of Dark Angels. Here’s what I have so far:
That’s one Company Master with a five man Command Squad, one Veteran Marine squad, three Tactical squads, two Devastator squads and half an Assault squad. That photo shows that I’m short one Devastator Marine, fifteen Assault Marines (which are in the mail as I write this) and two Tactical Squads.
After a little rearranging, and without taking another photo (doh!), I managed to get this down to fifteen Tactical marines and four Veterans (I moved the Missile Launcher from the Vet squad over to the Devastator spot and the three normal marines from the vet squad to one of the Tactical squads) not including the Assault Marines. This means I only need to pick up one Tactical Marine box, one five man squad box and one Dark Angels “Chapter Upgrade Sprue”. I’m thinking I may grab the Devastator squad box for the five marines so I can get a selection of Heavy Weapons into the Veteran squad.
After a weekend of far too much Civilization V and not enough time painting, the only thing I managed to accomplish was basing coating the Hellbrute with Death World Forest. I also finished the base for my yet still unnamed Daemon Prince. I’ll talk about him more in another post. Hopefully the next few days will be more productive.